Sunday, January 24, 2016

"MITCH, I'M LOSING MY FOCUS AND I DON'T KNOW WHY. HELP!!"

Sometimes an athlete is experiencing a problem that can be solved in a relatively short time – even on occasion in a single conversation. It is also worth noting in the following case, that it is not always necessary to know WHY the problem is happening to be able to find a fix.

Here is the case of Dan, a 19 year old post player who is currently in a post-grad program in the U.S., with the goal of being recruited to a good Division 1 school. He contacted me online and wrote;

Mitch, I'm losing my focus I don’t know why.  Can you recommend something for concentration, like some drills.

Tell me what is happening – what is the problem?

I’m not focused in practices, losing the ball, can't focus on drills and stuff like that. I’m feeling lost on the court, I get tired quickly and have trouble going hard like I used to. Today there were some college coaches watching our practice and I feel like I blew my opportunity.

Any thought about what might be happening? Is there anything that has changed lately?

I don't know. I can't think of anything that has changed, yet I feel tired,

Have you had that feeling before in the past?

No, first time

And you are sleeping well at night?

I have been sleeping fine.

The next thing is to be sure you are eating well (fruits and vegetables, enough protein, etc.)
The third thing is about stress. For example it is probably stressful to think that you didn't make a good impression on the coaches today.

Well the stress about coaches is always there. Actually I am usually playing better when coaches come. Last week I was terrible in practice and especially today when they were there. And my coach is always saying now, “What’s wrong with you, Dan?”

And you don't have any thought as to why this is happening?

Not at all

I see. Can you describe for me how you were playing today?

I had trouble maintaining focus. Usually I can post up anybody but today I couldn't.   And when I went to make a hook shot or layup the ball would slip from my hand.  Or when I run I get tired rather quickly. And my defense was terrible… I just stand and watch the ball instead of going after the rebound.

It is as if something is taking your focus away from the things you need to be doing out on the court – the things that usually you do without such difficulty.

Yes, exactly.

And what do you notice when you are really focused?  Can you describe how you are playing (or practicing) when things are going the best?

I’m thinking about the ball, getting the rebound, make a good move, setting a good screen and stuff like that.

I see. So now I want you to close your eyes and picture such a moment when you were really focused and thinking those things. And let me know when you have done this.

It’s hard because I think about the bad things all the time, and when I close my eyes that is what I see.

Like what?

Like the bad plays I have been making lately.

And when you picture some such bad play what happens?

I get nervous.

So now try this ... imagine that this happens as you just said - you picture some bad play and it gets you feeling nervous... THEN at that moment take 3 slow deep breaths - very slow and deep.

Alright.

What did you notice as you did this?

I feel calmer and overall better.

So here is what I suggest… when you start to lose focus (and like I said some other worries draw your thoughts away from what his happening on the court) one thing that will be helpful is to INTERRUPT that very thing (this loss of focus when you start to feel bad, get nervous, etc.).  And one of the most simple ways to do this is be taking some slow deep breaths just as you did now.

So when you start to lose focus one thing that can help is to INTERRUPT the loss of focus (when you start to feel bad, get nervous, etc...) One easy way to do that is to take some slow deep

Wow, I see what you mean. I am impressed. So when I lose my focus in practice or at games I should do this.

Try this... For the next week - every time in practice when you are standing around between drills take 3 slow deep breaths. And each time as you exhale feel that you are releasing (letting go of) the negative things
It can just take 15-20 seconds each time... but if you do that 8-10 times each practice you will be teaching your body how to INTERRUPT the kinds of things that you have been experiencing lately and replacing it with the kind of focus and energy you were used to having.
________________________

One week later Dan reported feeling back in control and rarely experiencing the problems he had come to be about.

In most cases the proposed strategy is kind of like a first-aid thing. Other follow up may be helpful, including steps to develop tools to manage future events that might cause similar stress. But this strategy proved useful in helping Dan get back to feelings of control in a QUICK and UNCOMPLICATED manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment